Monday, August 11, 2008

I really do have rocks in my head...

After my dizzy week at girls camp, my Dr sent me to the IHC Hearing and Balance Center this morning. I had a grunt load of test done and by the movement of my eyes and other things when I am dizzy, They found out that I have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo Disorder (BPPV for short).

Apparently it is true we have pile of rocks in our head! Actually there’s a pile in each of our inner ears which help with our balance and when they break apart, some of the rocks ( calcium carbonate crystals located in your inner ear) float in the normal fluid in your inner ear causing vertigo, dizziness and lightheadedness.

Apparently only 20% of the population get this disorder and most people if they get this just have it in one ear but not me, I am one of the rare ones that have it in both ears. Lucky me!!!

They did some positional therapy to try and get the crystals to go back to the right place and I have to sleep in a recliner for the next 4 days. I can’t look down or up for the next 12 hours and I have to go back next week for more positional therapy.

Unfortunately it is something I will probably have to live with the rest of my life but hopefully the therapy will help lessen the symptoms.

So, if you see me leaning to the right and look like I am a little drunk, I'm not really. :)

5 comments:

Jillene said...

It sounds like you and I are two peas in a pod! I have a bladder defect that should only happen to women in their 60's and 70's. I will have to have surgery on it soon. It seems like we have all the luck! I hope that the symptoms will reduce with the help of therapy. I would hate to have dizziness and be unbalanced.

If you need anything--let me know. I am happy to help in any way that I can! I am at my mom's enough that even if you need someone to talk to I can give you an ear!

Good luck with the therapy! You will be in my prayers!

Shaunab said...

Jillene,
I LOVE you!! You are always so thoughtful even when you have your own ailments. I hope everything goes well for you as well.

~Michelle Schafer said...

I am off balance and light headed frequently too, but I always thought that it was due to the altitude of being 5'10". I always make my kids pick stuff up from the floor for me because it is a little unnerving. I might have to look into this.

You'll be in my prayers too! How often is therapy? Is it far away or is it close like at TOSH?

Jillene said...

Thanks so much! I am SO scared of surgery. I have only been in the hospital 3 times--to have babies. I hate the idea of being under anestesia and having no control. But I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

Shaunab said...

I'll be fine!! Actually my therapy is up town which is nice because I can run over during work so it works out great.