Saturday, June 14, 2014

My Dad- Happy Fathers Day!

The past few weeks have brought new adventures every day. My dear old dad has suffered from Diebetes, Dimentia, and kidney disease. Over Memorial Day weekend, it was as if a switch flipped and he has started going down hill pretty fast.

We decided to start him on Hospice to give my Mom some help.  Little did we know it was not a moment too soon. The next day he lost the use of his legs so he can stand for just a minute which means no more going to the bathroom.  My mom and I haven't quite mastered the diaper change and he is trying to be patient but its hard. :)

About this same time, he has become increasingly adjitated and we have started him on meds to calm him down.

 I had a sweet experience the other night to serve him. He was anxious and trying to stand up and wanted to go to bed but we felt it was too early so I asked him (not really expecting him let me) if he wanted me to put dome lotion on his feet and rub his legs. yuk! At first he said very infaticly NO! but after I asked him again, he got a Grandpa Burnett smurk on his face and agreed to it. So for the next 20-30 minutes I sat in front of him and rubbed his feet and legs. It felt good to feel him relax for a few minutes.

I love my Dad and am so Thankful for  everything he has done for me and now for the opportunity I have to give back to him. Not sure how much longer he will be with us but I will cherish  every moment.  Even if it is at 3:00 in the morning and I am kneeling on the side of his bed rubbing his arm or head trying to get him to go back to sleep. I am sure he did it for me!

No comments: